Oswald Oberhuber, born in 1931 in South Tyrol, since the 1960s has greatly influenced the Austrian art world with a remarkably diverse practice as artist, curator, gallery owner, rector of the University of Applied Arts Vienna, collector, designer, critic, theorist and editor. His artistic oeuvre spanning a period of seven decades is not determined by a particular style or language but follows a principle of permanent change. While his early works are informed by abstraction, surrealism and informalism most prominently, he likewise explores the figurative and, with a strong emphasis on lines, shows a careful and sympathetic regard of modernism. His practice includes painting, collage, assemblage, sculpture, installation and in a later period came to embrace even furniture design an fashion. The 21er Haus in Vienna dedicated an extensive retrospective to the artist's oeuvre in 2016. Solo shows were organised at steirischer herbst, Graz (2004), Museo de Bellas Artes, Bilbao (1992), Museum für Moderne Kunst, Bozen (1988), S.M.A.K. – Stedelijk Museum voor Actuele Kunst, Ghent (1987) and many more. He participated at group exhibitions among others at Marta, Herford (2010), documenta XII and documenta VI, Kassel (2007 and 1977), Ludwig Museum of Contemporary Art, Budapest (2000), Secession, Vienna, HAM – Kunstmuseum Helsinki (1998) and São Paulo Biennale (1983).